Media Action Média promotes gender equity through media analysis and action.
Media Action Média envisions a media environment that respects and reflects people in all their diversity, celebrates their capacity and contribution, and nurtures rather than erodes their self-esteem and opportunities.
We seek to:
- Raise public awareness of the impact of media portrayals and practices on social attitudes and behaviour
- Engage consumers in constructive dialogue with media producers about their desire to see more responsible practice
- Challenge socially destructive myths (for example, that sexuality is the primary source of women and girls’ power)
- Replace denigrating portrayals with realistic and inspiring ones.
Our plans include:
- Bringing humour, playfulness and innovation to a critique of media sexism
- Celebrating and drawing attention to examples of positive portrayals and responsible representations of women
- Using new technologies and viral marketing strategies to expand reach and connect with diverse audiences in innovative ways
- Engaging and involve young women who are creating and disseminating their own media messages
- Developing strategic, project-based partnerships to capitalize on consonance of interests with educators and media producers and build independence from government funding
- Supporting individuals in making themselves heard by media organizations in ways that influence changes in practice
- Providing links between women’s organizations, academics, and media producers, connecting people united by their concern for the issues
- Popularizing relevant research and improving its accessibility and use
- Coaching women to improve their capacity to interact with media, articulate their issues and express their perspectives.
Media Action Média is comprised of a volunteer board of directors and volunteers.